Sure Signs Your Asheville Home Has Bed Bugs
October 15, 2020 - Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are pests that are surrounded by a lot of misinformation and misconceptions. While you are probably aware that these pests tend to bite people in their sleep, you might not realize how they get around and spread from place to place.
Infestations commonly start in one of two ways. The first and most common is by hitching a ride on your purse, luggage, or other items while traveling. Bed bugs can be picked up anywhere from buses to laundromats to hotel rooms. The second way bed bugs get inside is to on secondhand items like furniture and clothing that are already infested.
You, like many others, might not know what bed bugs look like or how to identify an infestation.
Contrary to popular belief, you can see bed bugs with the human eye. While it’s true that they are a tiny pest, they are not invisible. If you know what to look for and where to look, you can identify an infestation by sight using the following description.
- Bed bugs are a reddish-brown color.
- They have oval-shaped bodies that look rippled in texture.
- Their heads are small in proportion to their bodies.
- They are about the size of an apple seed.
- They are usually flat except after a meal.
What You Should Know About Bed Bug Bites
While you can see bed bugs, there are other signs you’re likely to notice first if you have an infestation. The first sign of a bed bug issue is usually bite marks, so knowing what these look like is vital.
- Bites can be anywhere on your body where your skin is exposed while you sleep.
- These bite marks appear in zigzag or line patterns.
- The bites can sometimes itch or leave a burning sensation.
- The bite sites may have a clear or dark center.
One interesting fact that you might not know is that bed bugs bite people while they sleep because they can smell the carbon dioxide people let off. They know they are more likely to get a meal when the person isn’t active.
Other Main Signs Of Bed Bug Infestations
Other than seeing the bed bugs themselves or noticing their bites, there are a few other surefire signs that you have a bed bug infestation. Here are some visual signs of bed bugs that you can watch for around your Asheville home:
- Small blood stains on sheets or mattresses
- Rust spots on sheets, walls, curtains, or mattresses
- Brown marks on the seams of your mattress caused by excrement
- Tiny cream-colored eggshells around beds or baseboards
- Discarded bed bug skins appearing around your bed or walls
What Should You Do If You Spot Bed Bugs?
Since bed bugs are not just nuisance pests, the best way to keep your Asheville home safe from these disgusting bugs is to contact the professionals at Noble Pest Solutions. Bed bugs are nearly impossible to remove yourself, so instead of wasting your time, energy, and funds, let us help you. We have over 25 years of combined experience, so you can trust that our technicians will get rid of every bed bug and keep them from coming back. Book your free inspection today by calling us or contacting us online.