Mini-Guide To Minimizing Mosquitoes In Hendersonville
April 30, 2020 - Mosquitoes
Although summer isn’t everyone’s favorite season, there’s a lot to love about the hottest months of the year. Long hours of sunlight, days spent poolside, and evening barbecues are just a few of the things to look forward to in summertime. However, if there is one thing about this season that is universally hated, it’s mosquitoes. No one likes mosquitoes. When they’re active, they make being outside miserable. They swarm around your body, buzz in your ears, and cover you in itchy bites. If you want to minimize mosquitoes on your Hendersonville property, Noble Pest Solutions has created this mini-guide to help you do so.
The Problems Mosquitoes Cause
Mosquitoes are more than a simple annoyance. While their bites might just seem like something you have to deal with for a few days before they fade away, they can lead to much more complicated problems.
Mosquitoes carry many dangerous illnesses that they spread through their bites. In fact, mosquitoes are so dangerous that they cause over a million deaths throughout the world every year and are the deadliest animal in the world.
Some of the diseases mosquitoes spread in the US include malaria, West Nile virus, Zika virus, dengue, yellow fever, and more. These illnesses have a range of severity and symptoms. Some will cause mild symptoms, but many are serious and can even lead to death.
DIY Mosquito Prevention Tips
Reducing the mosquito populations on your Hendersonville property on your own is possible. Although there are several things you can do to try to protect yourself and your family, the single greatest DIY mosquito prevention tip is to eliminate any and all areas of standing water that you can find on your property.
Mosquitoes need just an inch or two of standing water to breed. If you eliminate these areas, mosquitoes won’t be able to lay their eggs on your property, which will drastically reduce their populations around your yard. While some areas of standing water are obvious, you’ll want to look carefully around for spots you might not normally think of.
- Bird baths should be removed or the water should be changed every couple of days.
- Water dishes for pets should not be left outdoors or they should be rinsed out and refreshed daily.
- Gutters that are clogged with leaves and other debris will hold water. Make sure to check and clean your gutters several times a year.
- Barrels, buckets, and bowls left outside can collect water. Put them away inside or store them upside down.
- Outdoor toys can sometimes become water collectors. Tire swings and Tonka trucks are just two examples of toys that can collect water. Check them regularly or put them away when not in use.
- If you have a pool cover that’s not pulled tight, rainwater can pool up on top of the cover, allowing mosquitoes to breed.
- Low areas on your lawn or driveway can collect water. Consider filling these areas in to allow for better drainage.
- Landscaped areas sometimes provide a lot of shade below them where water can collect. Keep shrubbery and bushes trimmed to allow the sun to reach underneath them.
While reducing areas of standing water is the best way to prevent mosquitoes, other DIY methods include:
- Wearing DEET when outside.
- Wearing long sleeved shirts and pants when outside.
- Using a large fan when enjoying time outside.
- Making sure your windows have screens without holes or tears to prevent mosquitoes from getting inside.
How Noble Pest Solutions Minimizes Mosquitoes On Hendersonville Properties
While DIY methods will help reduce mosquito populations around your property, no method of mosquito control is 100% effective at eliminating mosquitoes. If you’re not happy with the results you’re seeing from your DIY methods, contact Noble Pest Solutions. We use the In2Care Mosquito Trap to reduce mosquitoes on your Hendersonville property safely and effectively.
In2Care Mosquito Traps are innovative mosquito control systems that work by using the mosquitoes themselves to spread the treatment and keep your yard mosquito-free. The treatment is eco-friendly and attractive to mosquitoes. Not only do they lay their eggs in the trap, but once they’ve come in contact with the trap, they spread the treatment to the other areas they travel before they die from it.
To get the mosquito populations around your property under control and protect your family from the harmful diseases that mosquitoes spread, contact Noble Pest Solutions to schedule a service visit. We’ll inspect your property, install the In2Care Mosquito Trap System, and provide continued maintenance for it so that you don’t have to worry about a thing. Get back outside and start enjoying your mosquito-free summer!