How To Protect Yourself From Dangerous Mosquitoes In Hendersonville
June 15, 2021 - Mosquitoes
Nothing spoils a nice evening like a swarm of mosquitoes. Whether you’re walking your pets, cooking on the grill, or just admiring the sunset, swatting away hordes of hungry mosquitoes can make spending time outdoors unbearable. It’s not only the uncomfortable itch that makes us want to avoid mosquitoes, but also the harmful diseases they are known to spread. To keep yourself safe, you need to know how to protect yourself from mosquitoes in Hendersonville and reduce conditions that attract mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes are flying insects that feed on blood. Although size varies depending on the species, most mosquitoes measure about 1/2 inch in length. Mosquitoes require an area of still water to breed, and so mosquitoes are often found in heavy concentrations around ponds and swamps.
Nobody is completely safe from mosquito bites, but mosquitoes are attracted to certain people over others. In fact, you could be attracting mosquitoes just by wearing the wrong shirt! A few common factors that appeal to mosquitoes include:
- Dark clothing: Mosquitoes depend on chemicals in the air to track down their victims, but they also locate prey on sight. Although it’s not clear why, mosquitoes prefer to feed on people in dark-colored clothing.
- Body heat: Excess body heat drives mosquitoes crazy. Pregnant women, larger individuals, and people who have recently exercised are all more likely to be bitten.
- Blood type: Given the choice between all blood types, mosquitoes gravitate toward people with Type O blood.
How Dangerous Are Mosquitoes
You know that mosquitoes are dangerous. You know that like ticks and fleas, blood-sucking parasites are often responsible for transmitting disease. But mosquitoes are more deadly than you might realize.
Every year, mosquitoes are responsible for an estimated one million deaths. They are widely considered to be the deadliest animal on the planet, beating every apex predator and venomous insect. Mosquito-borne illnesses like dengue fever, malaria, EEE, West Nile virus and Zika virus have devastated communities around the globe and are still very much present in the United States.
How To Protect Yourself From Mosquitoes
While you can’t completely avoid mosquitoes, you can take steps to reduce your chances of getting bitten. All you need to protect yourself from mosquitoes is a few simple changes to your habits:
- Stay indoors at twilight: Mosquitoes are most active at sunrise and sunset. If you normally walk your pets or exercise during these twilight hours, try to stay indoors to avoid mosquitoes.
- Wear light colors: Since mosquitoes are more attracted to dark colors, simply wearing light-colored clothing can reduce your chances of being bitten.
- Cover bare skin: It might not be comfortable in the summer, but if you’re spending time in an area where you know there will be lots of mosquitoes, wearing long sleeves and pants can reduce your chances of being eaten up.
- Drink in moderation: If you’re spending time at a cookout or outdoor party, try to limit your intake of alcoholic beverages. Whether because of increased body heat or the evaporation of alcohol in our bloodstream, mosquitoes are known to target people who have been drinking.
Taking everyday precautions to protect yourself against mosquitoes is important for preserving your health. But if you’re looking to control the population of mosquitoes on your Hendersonville property, the best way is with help from Noble Pest Solutions. As part of our comprehensive residential pest control plans, we offer complete protection from harmful mosquitoes on your property. Our expert technicians will eliminate mosquitoes at the source so you can get back to enjoying your time outdoors. For the solutions to all your pest problems, get in touch with us today.