Four Reasons You May Have Moisture In Your Hendersonville, NC Home
Good and bad moisture is a delicate balance when it comes to your home, but staying dry is preferable. In hot dry climates, it’s common to see humidifiers in homes, but in the rest of the country, we are battling to keep moisture out, and Hendersonville, NC residents are no strangers to this struggle.
Problems Due To Moisture Damage
There is a wide range of issues that can develop due to moisture in the home. Homeowners can expect very costly repairs if these issues are left unattended. This is where being savvy can save you the big bucks; it’s imperative that you do monthly inspections of your home, top to bottom to discover problems before they get out of hand.
- Water can destroy the wood in your home. Not only will it cause rot to occur in beams and flooring, but it will also invite mold to the party. Once mold gets into your timbers it will eat away at the integrity of the wood.
- Mold and mildew can grow pretty much anywhere, inside or out. Inside the home, it can destroy anything it comes in contact with. Outside, it is unsightly and destructive.
- Moisture will attract critters and insects to your property. Several insects thrive in damp environments.
- Your household electronics will also suffer in a damp house, and nowadays everything has some sort of electric component.
- Books are like sponges. Your library can be lost to excessive moisture
- Black mold from excessive moisture in the home can be the direct cause of many illnesses. Infants exposed are three times more likely to become asthmatic. 93% of sinus infections are attributed to mold. 25% of the population has a genetic predisposition that makes them more susceptible to mold sicknesses.
Four Entry Points For Moisture In Your Home
Water can be sneaky when entering your home. A slow steady trickle of water can turn into a rushing current of dollar bills in no time at all. Here are four ways water can enter and cause damage to your home.
1. Ground Seepage- Water can rise through the earth and slowly seep into the basement or flooring of your home. This can rot the floor joists, cause the house to sag.
2. Leaks- This can be caused by a damaged roof, cracks in the walls, or around windows. The other source for leaks could be a broken pipe or condensation from an air conditioning unit.
3. Weather- Mother nature will challenge us every chance she gets. Flooding, driving rain, or even dense fog can most certainly damage your home.
4. Daily Activities- The Shower or bathtub, the washing machine, the toilet, the dishwasher, or one of the sinks in the home can all be the reason for water damage.
Each of these can cause mold growth which is hazardous to your health and attracts unwanted pests into your home.
How Can I Alleviate Moisture levels in my home?
As a homeowner, you have many different ways to keep the moisture levels lower. They require some work on your part, but they are most definitely worth it.
- A Dehumidifier- running one of these regularly will pull a lot of moisture from the air. You will have to empty it often or run a hose to a drain.
- Repair any leaks in pipes, toilets, showers, or faucets.
- Repair roof and patch and cracks on the outside of the house.
- Ensure that your landscaping drains away from the house.
Call Professionals For Moisture Control Issues.
Moisture problems can be a much bigger problem than you would think, potentially wreaking havoc on the major systems of your home. Noble Pest Control can help with their initial inspection of crawl spaces and basements. They are a family-owned business that has been helping the residents of Hendersonville for 15 years. Reach out to us today to learn more about how the experts at Noble Pest Control can help you with your moisture control needs.